You Are Not Prepared! (But You Will Be!)
On May 18, Blizzard is effectively splitting Classic in two. All of the existing servers will upgrade in-place to The Burning Crusade. Your existing game install under "classic" will move to The Burning Crusade expansion. All guilds and characters will be preserved in this transition. It is effectively identical to a retail expansion upgrade, e.g., moving from Battle for Azeroth to Shadowlands.
Blizzard is also planning to create Classic Era servers that stay on Classic forever. A new set of servers is being created with identical names to the existing Classic servers, but these are effectively cloned servers, and over time they will undoubtedly become connected realms due to the lower player population on each realm. Character names will be reserved, but any characters you create here are effectively clones that are on a new server copy and staying behind while the original servers move on to The Burning Crusade.
We anticipate that the same process will unfold once more for future expansions like Wrath of the Lich King, so with that in mind, here is how we plan to handle this split on Warcraft Logs.
- https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/ will always represent the original set of servers. As they move on to new expansions, classic.warcraftlogs.com will also move on. In effect, classic.warcraftlogs.com will upgrade in-place to The Burning Crusade, just as the servers in-game do.
- A new site, https://vanilla.warcraftlogs.com/ is being created to handle the new set of Classic Era servers, as well as any potential new Classic Era servers that get added in the future. It is era locked forever.
- You can create/reserve guilds on the Vanilla site in anticipation of staying behind. Your guilds and characters will be considered clones of your original, and you will not be able to merge them with the original Classic characters or guilds. Due to this being a completely different region/era, we can't support merging them together. We will probably provide some convenient backlinks to the same guild/character name on the main Classic site, however, so that you can get back to your history fairly easily.
- Phase Six rankings will freeze when your servers go down for the upgrade to TBC, so you can keep pushing those times right up until the last minute. These times will vary by region, and I will update this document with precise times once I have received that information from Blizzard. The simple rule is that if your region has not upgraded to the TBC prepatch yet, then you can still rank in P6.
- The Vanilla site will re-open shortly after the upgrade with a new partition called "Season 0" that will house all of the rankings for the Classic Era forever servers.
- Whether or not there are Prepatch rankings for the TBC site is still TBD, since there are some technical challenges due to how significant the spec changes are. If there is a partition just for those two weeks, it would be a toy partition that would not replace P6 in any way.
If you have any more questions about this process and how it will work, you can hop on the Discord and we'll do our best to answer your questions. The chat link to Discord is at the bottom of this page in the footer.